Monday, May 21, 2012

2010 Ford Taurus.... it has new life!

Last week I felt the paint on my father's 2010 Ford Taurus and it was painful..... it was riddled with contaminants due to several factors:


  1. Rarely being washed
  2. Parked by the side of the road due to no driveway accessibility
  3. Never waxed


Something had to be done!

I had the Ex-P to protect the paint and the TRIX to get rid of some of the surface contaminants but I needed more.  After checking with my buddies at autos.ca I figured I had to invest in a clay bar kit.  If your paint feels rough at all the clay bar should get rid of all the bumps and make your paint as smooth as glass.... I was sceptical.... I mean this paint was really rough.

So off to Wal-Mart I went and bought a Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit, I also joined their website members to try to scrounge up a few blog visits, check out my post: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?54867-First-Post-check-out-my-beautiful-2011-Kia-Optima-EX-Luxury&p=504727#post504727

The kit cost $30 which seemed reasonable if it does what it claims, it comes with 2 bars, detailing spray, a cloth and a sample wax bottle.  These clay bars are SMALL but they do the job, it's kind of like silly putty.  You have to clean the car, spray the detailing spray, clay one section at a time and then wipe it all off and repeat... about 50 times to cover the whole car.

So here's how it all went:

Clean the Taurus with Turtle Wax Premium Ice car wash - about 20 minutes and 10 minutes to dry thoroughly.

Clay bar treatment - about an hour from beginning to end and I had a helper with the clay as I sprayed the lubricant and wiped off after.  One bar easily did my father's very contaminated car, I can still use it again, I used about half the detailing spray.  TIP:  DO NOT DROP THE CLAY, EVERYTHING STICKS TO IT.

So once we were done you could really feel the difference in the paint but I noticed the small rust like spots did not go away so I had to break out the TRIX.

TRIX - About 20 minutes to apply, rinse and dry

EX-P Sealant - 15 minutes to apply, 15 minutes to let set and 15 minutes to buff off.

Then I couldn't help but clean the interior and doors a bit with my turtle wax total interior care.


Look at er now!  Would you look at that shine.... and it wasn't even sunny when the pictures were taken!






No comments:

Post a Comment