Monday, October 15, 2012

Formula 1 Great Retiring - Another just not trying.

Michael Schumacher

So once upon a time not that long ago you are winning every Formula 1 race driving for Ferrari..... then fast forward 10 years and you are yesterdays news and this is how you are treated:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/new-cars/auto-news/no-graceful-exit-from-f1-for-schumacher/article4598144/

I was at once a huge and the smallest Schumacher fan, I have always been the one to go for the underdog and he was NEVER the underdog at Ferrari.  I also love a winner and he was a WINNER.  I was probably one of ten people in Newfoundland watching Formula 1 back in the late 90's to early 2000's and he simply dominated.  He was brilliant, ruthless, cunning..... everything a race car driver should be.  These guys risk their lives every day for our entertainment (and a hefty salary), but they have about a 5% chance of dying on the job.  I'm pretty sure I'll never be impaled on a pen at work or have severe lacerations from paper pushing, but a one in 20 chance of dying on the job should ensure you a pretty high pay cheque.

So here he is risking his life for Mercedes and they gladly push him back into retirement to make way for Lewis Hamilton.  For the past number of years I have been a big Hamilton fan, I'm not sure why but that's the way it is being a fan.  For the past couple of races Hamilton is way off the pace, like he is mailing it in now for McLaren all of a sudden.  I am losing respect for him.  No matter what I am set out for I always give it 100%, ALWAYS.  I'd expect the same for someone making about $20 million per year race car driving.  If I could have any job in the world it would be race car driving, even knowing the risks.  Can you imagine what if feels like to drive a car 300 km/hr?

There are thousands of people like me yet sometimes these guys' ego takes over and they don't give it their all.  If you are not 100% committed you can have the best car on the track and still finish 10th..... wait Hamilton finished 10th last week in Korea.....


No comments:

Post a Comment