Sunday, October 7, 2012

Tire Rim Protection



I was trying to figure out the best way to protect my beautiful aluminium rims from salt this winter. I did my normal ask on autos.ca

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80851.msg822373.html#msg822373

Poorboys Wheel Sealant seemed to be the solution but before I get to reviews on the product itself I have a funny story about trying to buy the product.  I went to the poorboys site and the product was $20 which seemed reasonable enough.  I proceeded to the checkout and selected Canadian shipping...... the total was now $1520.  I was thinking that $1,500 seemed a bit high for shipping on an 8oz jar of sealant that cost $20.  I`m sure it was some type of error in the shipping calculation but it did give me more time to review the purchase.

I checked out some reviews on the product and apparently nothing really gives good rim protection, and the poorboy`s stuff smells especially bad to boot.  That being said I am willing to give it a try but not for $1,520....  I checked Canadian Tire for rim protectant and they don`t have anything.  A lot of posts say just to try wax on the rims and clean them regularly.  The rims have a clear coat protectant on them which will keep salt away as long as the coating is still in tact.

I think I will just go with the wax and wash this winter and see how it goes.  If my rims get pitted from salt I won`t be happy but I think with some TLC  we will make it through unscathed.


No comments:

Post a Comment